The Group of Astrodynamics for the Use of Space Systems (G.A.U.S.S. Srl) is an Italian limited liability company based in Rome, founded in 2012 as a spin-off of the Scuola di Ingegneria Aerospaziale of Sapienza University of Rome, carrying on the school's more than twelve years tradition in the field of microsatellites. Active in the space technology field, its aims are the research, the development and the implementation of aerospace projects, plus the educational aspect and the execution of related cultural initiatives.
Since the early nineties, activities of designing, ground testing, integration, launch and ground operations have been managed by GAUSS members at the Scuola di Ingegneria Aerospaziale, where the UNISAT program started under the supervision of Professor Filippo Graziani. The first microsatellite, UNISAT, was completely manufactured by the University students and launched in September 2000. It was followed by UNISAT-2 (December 2002), UNISAT-3 (June 2004), UNISAT-4 (July 2006), EduSat (August 2011), UniCubesat-GG (February 2012), UNISAT-5 (November 2013), UNISAT-6 (in June 2014). UNISAT-7 is planned to be launched in 2017.
GAUSS Srl has innovated the idea of launch provider, making the UniSat satellites themselves launcher platforms as well as carriers of fixed payloads.
G.A.U.S.S. Srl has gained its experience from of differently shaped and sized satellites’ launches. The company business is mainly related to the design and the manufacturing of micro, nano, pico and femto satellites, intended as CubeSat, PocketQube and releasing platforms such as GPOD (GAUSS Picosatellites Orbital Deployer) and MRFOD (Morehead Rome Femtosatellites Orbital Deployer).
G.A.U.S.S.' main activities are:
- Launch services for microsatellites, CubeSat and PocketQube satellites
- In orbit test of payloads hosted on our satellites
- Design and manufacturing of microsatellites & nanosatellites
- Design and manufacturing of CubeSat and PocketQube releasing platforms
- Design and manufacturing of electronics and hardware for microsatellites
- Design and manufacturing of structures for microsatellites
- Implementation and integration of the main satellite's subsystems and payload
- Ground segment operations
- Space debris observation ground segment operations for microsatellites
G.A.U.S.S. is on the cutting-edge as a small satellites launch provider.